Thursday, January 15, 2009

Grocery Shopping Tips

The Tightwad Gazette was created in 1990 by a woman named Amy Dacyczyn. She put together articles, and price comparisons and many tightwad tips earning herself the nickname "the frugal zealot". I'm not sure of her religious convictions, but for me personally I've become acutely aware of my need to be a better steward.
In the book of Proverbs it says this "Of what use is money in the hand of a fool, since he has no desire to get wisdom? " (17:16)
Each day is a gift from God and each dollar an opportunity to serve Him better. If I squander my money on $3.00 coffees at Starbucks and turn my eyes away from the woman who is clearly in need, I will be held responsible.
Today I will post my first "tightwad tip" that I created for our Financial Peace small group. Most of these are "duh" tips, however it's always a good reminder!

Amy’s Top Six Grocery Shopping Tips
Tip #1
Plan, Plan, Plan
Make your meal plan at home taking into account what days you will be very busy. (on those days plan a crock pot meal) If you are going to eat out, plan for it! Don’t buy food twice by eating out on a night you have planned to eat at home.

Tip #2
Make a LIST; DO NOT shop without a list
Shopping with out one leads to impulse buying. Look only for what’s on your list.

Tip #3
Don’t shop hungry.
Shop first thing in the morning after eating a good, filling breakfast.
When you are hungry everything looks good and you will fill your cart with unnecessary purchases.

Tip #4
Shop alone. Don’t take the kids with you if at all possible.
When you are distracted you don’t look for the deals, you just want “get done and get home.”

Tip #5
Don’t “waste” time clipping coupons you won’t use. Only use coupons on Double coupon days. Normally store brands are cheaper anyway.

Tip #6
Buy what you’ll eat and then, EAT WHAT YOU BUY!
Many people waste more money on food they throw out! If you know you are not a “leftovers” family plan accordingly. If you make more than you can eat in one meal, freeze it for another meal.
And to finish off my post for today I will leave you with the words Wisdom: Click HERE

No comments: