Sunday, January 24, 2010

Classic Cream Scones


My sister is amazing! She puts Martha Stewart to shame... no, I mean it! She cooks, decorates, , gardens, and runs a household better than Martha and to top it all off, she loves God, is raising three godly kids and would never do anything illegal to get herself thrown into prison!


The other day I was making these scones from my sisters recipe (with my own "healthy tweak" of course) and thought to myself, "Self, you should share this recipe with your readers. It's too good to keep to yourself! So I snapped a quick picture (because what is a recipe without a picture?) and promised to post it for you!
This is a wonderful recipe that can be adapted to fit whatever occasion you can think of! The morning pictured here I added frozen blueberries. I like to make some with craisins and white chocolate chips when my girlfriends come over!
So, without further ado: Classic Cream Scones.
(Healthy "tweaks" in parenthesis)
2 cups flour (1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (1/2 cup raw honey)
1/8 t. salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, chilled
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (1/2 cup 2% milk)
1 large egg (2 egg whites)
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
To make the top of the scones "glazed" mix 1 egg white with 1 t. of water or milk
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheet. Keep in mind you are basically just making biscuits.
**In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
**Cut butter into 1/4 slices and distribute them over the flour mixture.
**With a pastry cutter (or 2 forks), cut butter into dry ingredients until the mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
** In a small bowl, blend together wet ingredients and add to the flour mixture. Stir until loosely combined. (if you are adding any other "extras" now is the time to do so! craisins, chocolate chips, nuts etc.)
** With lightly floured hands, divide dough in 1/2. Pat dough into a 1/2 inch round thickness on lightly floured board.
** Cut into wedges or use a biscuit cutter to cut desired shapes. (for a typical "scone" shape, simply run a floured knife to cut the round into 6 wedges) Place them on a baking sheet and brush with egg wash glaze. I usually sprinkle them with raw sugar at this time.
Bake for 13-15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
I hope you enjoy this version of my sisters fantastic scones!

No comments: