Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Greatest Job

"The most important occupation on the earth for a woman is to be a real mother to her children. It does not have much glory in it; there is a lot of grit and grime. But there is no greater place of ministry, position, or power than that of a mother."~ Phil Whisenhunt


A long time ago an exasperated mother of two small children told me something I will never forget. She was in tears as she said "There has to be more than this. I didn't get a degree so I could scrub toilets and floors, and wipe poopy bottoms all day. I was made for more than this." While I know it was just her frustration talking, (and I've certainly felt that way at times too) I thought to myself then and still feel now the words that should have come from my lips would have been:

"No. You were not made for 'more than this'. This is truly the highest calling any woman could ever hope for. It may not be glamorous or monetarily rewarding, but it has rewards that reach farther than you will ever dream possible. No one promised us it would be easy, or fun, but these precious little people depend on you to be an example to them. The example you provide for them will be what they take with for the rest of their lives. As a mother you will shape their futures. "

Those babies are now teenagers. They are doing great things. I have no doubt in my mind that they have learned to love God, and see Him in the everyday things. I don't wonder at her parenting, because I've seen her parent right and well. It's obvious in the product! To say they are over-achievers would be an understatement, as they excel at all they put their mind to. At times I pause and wonder if she still feels unfulfilled. I think back to the mothers of great people throughout history and wonder if Abraham Lincolin's mother lost it once or twice. Or if Martin Luther's mom hated the potty training stage.

It causes me to reflect on difficult days and re-focus knowing that I am a Mother. I am here to mold and shape, and heaven forbid they take after me! I want to mold myself so much to the Father that when 20 years from now someone writes a blog post about my children, they don't see me, they see Him.

This is my prayer as I daily undertake working for the King in the greatest job of all.

No comments: