Friday, January 15, 2010

Quiet

It's quiet and I'm left to thoughts for myself.
Where does my mind wander?
Sometimes fashion, (I'm SO excited that she's coming to speak to our Teen MOPS group).
Sometimes correspondence. Often a list, (things I ought to be doing) or what's for dinner.


The past few days I've been thinking a lot about this blog, and what I want to write about. I enjoy writing. I'm not good at it yet, but I enjoy it, and I think the "good" will come with time. Not only will the writing improve I hope, but I truly believe that by sending these words into "the cloud", that there's a sense of accountability. What if someone actually reads this? What if I say I'm going to do a post on how to clean out your linen closet?... If I say it, and you read it, then I have to do it! And, not only do I have to do it, but I have to do it in the most effective way possible so that you and I both learn something. (Just as a side note: I'm not saying that I am going to teach you how to clean out your linen closet, that is unless you really need to know, and then of course I'd be happy to!)


So as my thoughts roam here and there with this blog I hope to learn by teaching. I think I've said it before, but I'll tell you again. I want to be like June Cleaver. That woman has always been amazing to me. She's on top of it all! Laundry, dishes, dinner, ironing, mending, bridge parties, not to mention she is always looking fabulous! Before you start reminding me of the fact that June does not exist (ouch...please, don't burst my bubble!) I want you to know that I realize she is not without fault. I never saw her potty training the boys, so I'm sure she may have lost it once or twice when they had an accident on her perfectly groomed living room carpets. As far as I know Ward and June didn't have a bedroom in that house, so she may not be able to give advice on that area... and I didn't ever see anything to suggest that the Cleaver's were believers, but in my heart of hearts I know they simply didn't air the episodes with the spiritual training. (Even back then people were touchy on religion, right?) Though she didn't have everything, she has what I long for most... a gentle and quiet spirit. (Oh, and an organized home.)A professional organizer came to our MOPS group a while back and what she said really stuck with me, but I'll save that for another post. Recognizing my flaws and the areas I need to improve upon are what keep me honest. They are what motivate me to not settle for who I am now. I am assured that God began a work in me, and He is not done yet. I tend to think in the end that I will come out looking a bit more like June, but I leave that entirely up to Him.

So dear friends, my lesson for today is simply this: reflection is good. Reflecting the One who is the Author of it all, is even better...

No comments: