Monday, March 15, 2010

Another Family Favorite

I can't believe I'm going to share this with you...


It's a family favorite that's been in our family for years. Really, it's not like it's a secret, but still... if you ever come to my house and I serve it for dessert I don't want you to know how easy it was to make! (ah hem, kinda like this commercial... remember?)



I shared the recipe with my sister-in-law who was making a cake for a friend at work that enjoys all things lemon. I started describing to her this cake with a yummy glaze that my mom used to make. Suddenly I HAD to have the recipe. I called my mom and asked her to tell it to me over the phone. It had been a long time since I'd had it and my mouth began to water anticipating it!

Oh, this cake!! Serve it next time there's a Supper At Your Place okay?




Lemon Jello Cake

1 package of lemon jello

1 yellow cake mix

2/3 cup of oil

2/3 cup of water

4 eggs

..........................................

Mix above ingredients in mixer for 5-7 minutes.

Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan

Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes. The top will be a beautiful golden brown color.

When the cake comes out of the oven poke holes in the top with a meat fork or tooth pick.

While still hot, pour glaze (recipe below) over cake and smooth with the back of a spoon.

Mmmmmm....


Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

The juice of 1 lemon

1/4 c. oil

..............

Mix with a wisk and pour over cake.



For the printable, click HERE. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Dawnette Thomas said...

We grow up having this cake for Easter and then a few more times during the spring and summer. I loved and still love this cake. I once asked for it for my birthday, in December, and my grandma asked, "Are you sure you want such a light cake?" I can't make this cake without walking down memory lane. Thanks for bringing a smile to my heart and face this evening.

amandaginn said...

Ahhh! I want this NOW! I didn't have any cravings during my first pregnancy, but baby #2 is telling me, "Lemons, Mama, lemons!"

So now I'm sitting here watching my tummy squirm from baby's somersaults and I'm salivating as I read your recipe.

Must. have. lemon. cake.

(Found you at Steady Mom.)

Kelly Miller said...

Yum! I, too, love all things lemon. When I was pregnant, I got through the day on a salad with feta, olive oil, and lots (lots!) of lemon juice!