Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Easy Beans

So I promised my sister the crock pot re-fried beans recipe I use, and since I am typing it up for her, I thought I should post if for ya'll!  It's fantastic.  It came originally from allrecipes.com but I've made a few changes to fit our family needs.

Re-fried Beans (Without the Re-fry)
1 onion, peeled and halved
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped
2 T. minced garlic
5 t. salt
1 3/4 t. black pepper
1/8 t. ground cumin
9 cups of water

Directions:
Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker.  Pour in the water and stir to combine.  Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.  Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid.  Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.


For the printable, please click here.

1 comment:

elk grove mama in motion said...

Ok Amy, you've got another follower now! I love to eat, and fortunatly I also love to exercise. =)
We just finished dinner, featuring "easy beans" and the whole family gobbled them up! Typically I call a dinner a success when 3 out of 4 in the house eat it without complaining and tonight was above that.
So thanks a bunch, these we easy and yummy. Double whammy.
Wendy