Thursday, September 30, 2010

WD40

I've been out of commission for a while, and don't really anticipate being back to my normal self for at least another week. Today as I lay in my bed trying to rest, I heard my children rolling around in the rest of the house. It was all I could do to stay and rest, to not resolve the conflict about to implode in the hallway. As I lay there pondering my absence and now my lightweight role at home I smiled. It's what I've always wanted. They can get along fine without me, I want them to be independent souls as well as children who can take instruction from other authorities. But they still need me.

My role as mom is to be the WD40 of our home, to make the household function.

In my absence dinners have been lovingly prepared and school work has dutifully been done, diapers have been changed and dishes washed, but the fluid movement that is our day is different when I'm not here.

Selfishly, I'm glad. We all know that we are needed, but sometimes as a mommy you wonder, "What would it be like if I weren't doing ________ (fill in the blank)". We know the truth, that we serve a much bigger role than we could ever really imagine, but when you see with your own eyes the hole that you leave it solidifies that knowledge.

Today however, do me a favor. Since I've seen it from a place I'd rather not be would you please trust me? You are a treasure. You are a foundation. You are of greater worth than you could ever imagine. You are the precision needed for your home. You are the WD40!

No comments: