Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thai Glazed Lettuce Wraps

Forgive me...
Whenever I make these I get so incredibly excited to eat them that I literally forget to take pictures! For that I'm truly sorry; however I believe you will extend your forgiveness when you take your first bite of the ones you have prepared for yourself.

The other night some dear friends invited us to go out for Chick-Fil-A as it was Tuesday Night and Kids Eat Free! After consulting our envelopes, our good friend Dave reminded us that it wasn't in our best interest to eat out, even if the kids meals were paid for, so we invited our friends to join us at home for dinner. It was Tuesday, so I knew I was making Asian for dinner and these lettuce wraps just happened to be on the menu. I was so excited to share with the Davis's as I knew they would be a big hit!

When asked for the recipe I assured her that I would "Blog it for her", and so dear friends that brings me to today's post!

Now you must understand that I give you the recipe (link here) as I received it from the Food Network, but I have yet to make it according to Rachel's instructions! The simplicity is what drew me to the recipe to begin with and the "tweaks" I have made just happened to fit our family and our personal tastes. This is what I love so dearly about cooking and about sharing recipes. As no two families are the same I don't expect any two families to prepare any dish the same! Enjoy these tasty treats and let me know if they become a regular menu item in your home too!
(For the printable Rachel Ray recipe, please click the above link. Below is my adaptation and the printable link is found on the title!)
1-2 pounds of ground turkey
2 T. of ginger root (chopped or shredded)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Large red bell pepper
1 Large green bell pepper
3 Green onion, chopped
1/2-1 cup plum sauce
2 cups of fresh basil leaves (THIS is what makes these amazing!)
1 T. of fish sauce
Romain Lettuce
Directions: Brown the ground turkey in the skillet and add ingredients in order listed. After you have coated the mixture with the plum sauce let it sit and thicken over low heat for 5 minutes or so. Add the fresh basil and turn to wilt. Add fish sauce and immediately remove from the heat, turning to coat the meat. Serve piping hot in freshly washed romaine lettuce leaves. Load it up and eat like tacos!

No comments: