Monday, April 11, 2011

Children's Book Monday

Today in school Grace is learning about what makes a book a biography auto-biography, fiction or non-fiction.  It is only fitting then that I should review one of our favorite non-fiction books.

Henry's Freedom Box; A True Story from the Underground Railroad
Authored by Ellen Levine
Illustrated by Kadir Nelson

Historically true, and heartbreakingly true, the story of Henry "Box" Brown tells the journey of a young boy from his days working in his master's home to his final destination of freedom.  It tells of his joys, his sorrows, his hurts, and trials struggling to maintain a positive outlook on life. The content is deep and thought provoking. The images are profound and moving. My small children did not understand the tear rolling down their Mama's face as she read the story for the first time to her babes, clutching them tighter and closer (even though I know no one can take my babies from me.) Each time we read this story it seems to bring up more and more questions in their minds, questions I'm glad they are asking.  They ask about slavery, about people, about life, love, God and freedom.  Questions that if they go unanswered will lend to history repeating itself in ugly ways.  So we talk of deep things even though they are small.  And we question big issues even though it is scary.  And I see in my children a desire to do what God wants for their lives, to live in relationship with others regardless of the barriers we often put up, and I think to myself.

 "Who knew a children's book, could teach so much?!"

1 comment:

Kristin said...

We just finished up a study on the Civil War. This wasn't on my book list, but I found it by accident on one of our library visits...and loved it! The kids did, too.