Sunday, September 25, 2011

Children's Book Monday

I can't pass up free books.
It's just a fact.
If I'm walking past something that says "free" I'm going to stop and take a look.  Most of the time I don't just look, I snag.  I can't help it, it's my mother in me!
Sometimes getting something for free is not all that it's cracked up to be. This time however I'm so very glad I stopped, looked and snagged!
Today's selection was published around 1950.  I was drawn to it because of the simplicity of it's cover, but when I opened it's pages that's when the magic happened...the illustrations are captivating!
Lost In The Zoo by Berta and Elmer Hader

A simple story of a boy, John Henry, who happens to get separated from his older sister on their way into the zoo.  (Side note: I love little nuances like explaining to my children about such things as phone booths!) Of course the search for her brother takes her through each part of the zoo.  Each animal depicted is breathtaking and though I've read hundreds of books to my children about zoo animals, none has kept their attention quite like this one.  We were all excited to turn the page to see the next illustration, while at the same time wanting to linger on each page that we turned!
As they work their way through the zoo, I found the kids getting more and more anxious.  Their concern over the fictitious character was heartwarming. When the police get in on the search for the "missing boy" and crowds start to murmurer, John Henry himself decides that he is going to help search for the lost little boy!
Such a delight is this 1950 treasure!


No comments: