Sunday, December 11, 2011

What's in a Menu?

"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell so sweet." - William Shakespear

Ah, another week goes by and dinner must be put on the table.  Are you like me?  Does this every day occurrence often loose the special, unique, and dare I say holy significance among the drudgery of it's frequency?
There are times that I forget how important my job is, times that putting food in front of my children seems like just an extra step. (When I make something they don't like I feel like I should just take the food from the fridge and throw it in the trash rather than take the time to prepare and present and have them decline!)

But on the rare occasion that I stop and think about what I'm doing the depth of meaning causes my heart to constrict.  This isn't just food placed in front of each person.  This is a meal prepared with thoughtfulness and love, and served with joy.  A time when we stop all else, come together as a family, give thanks for our blessings, and participate in community.  We share not only in the joys of flavor but also in the gift of our time together, sharing the good, the bad, the disappointments and joys of our day with one another.  This time truly is holy, set apart of a unique purpose.  When I'm reminded of that simple fact it makes planning for the week's dinners so much easier.

May your tables be blessed this week with good food, good conversation and the love of family and friends!

This Weeks Menu is as follows:
Monday: Beans and Rice, truly inspired by this post I've tried to schedule in simple meals like this to help us learn appreciation for all we have.  We sponsor a child through Christian Relief Fund and it helps us understand the menus of those less fortunate than us.
Tuesday: Pho`
Wednesday: Chicken Spaghetti  (If you haven't tried this one yet, you need to.  I mean you REALLY need to!)
Thursday: Ravioli in Alfredo with broccoli
Friday: Family Pizza Night


Linking this post to Menu Plan Monday!
Feel free to leave your menu or a recipe to share in the comments below!

No comments: