Monday, April 30, 2012

Book List

How many books do you have on your nightstand?
Count them.  I'm serious. If you have to, leave the computer and go count them, or if they're on your kindle mentally add up how many you are waiting anxiously to read.  If you have more than one, you might be surprised to find out that:


1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. 
42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college. 
80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year. 
70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years. 
57 percent of new books are not read to completion. 
70 percent of books published do not earn back their advance. 
70 percent of the books published do not make a profit. 
(Source: Jerold Jenkins, www.JenkinsGroupInc.com)

53 percent read fiction, 43 percent read nonfiction. The favorite fiction category is mystery and suspence, at 19 percent. 
55 percent of fiction is bought by women, 45 percent by men. 
(Source: Publishers Weekly)

Statistics found, here.



I don't know about you, but those statistics make me really sad.  I guess it's because I love to read so much.  Right now I have about five books that are waiting in line for me to read.  And I often have more than one come in at the library at the same time.  I challenge myself to read at least a couple of non-fiction books in between some of the "fun" novels that I like to tear through.  Right now, I'm currently reading Kathi's newest book, The Get Yourself Organized Project, which you'll be hearing more about  after I get home from next week.  I have a few others that are fiction and one that's taken me six weeks to get half way through! (More on that one too!)


But for now I leave you with advice from a dear friend to whom these statistics do NOT apply!

1 comment:

Danielle Humphreys said...

Oops, let's try this again. So I have 5 books + 2 Bibles on my nightstand right now! We just bought 5 books from our used bookstore last night...including one of the funniest kids books I've read in a long time (The Happy Hocky Family). I also bought a couple of books the night before. Don't have a problem NOT liking books-I think mine is the other way around :)

Noah has been busily transcribing "If You Give a Pig a Party," and has around 8 pages ready for me to staple together. We really like books!