Wednesday, February 13, 2019

February

Ugh! 
The middle of February has me wanting to get away!


I mean look at that beach! I can practically feel the hot sand under my bare feet. 
Never mind the fact that my feet have shoes on and
 I'm sitting by the fire gazing out the window at the snow clad yard.
I have an active imagination.

So what to do? How do I deal with the hum drum of February? You see, in my world poor 'ole February is like Wednesday (a.k.a. Hump Day). That middle of the week, gotta get through it to the downhill side toward the weekend. School is still over three months from being let out. I live for summer break! Not for the weather, though that's nice, but the sleep in if you want to, no supervising kid's school work, no where scheduled to be, impromptu trips to the lake, sit by the campfire reading, forget what day of the week it is break.
Well, for today, here's what I do. I grab my Bible and I open it to Philippians chapter 4. Here Paul writes, "I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed you have been concerned but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."

Contentment. 

If Paul can do it, I can too. These circumstances are not seeing me in hunger or need. I simply would rather be somewhere else. (Cancun would be fine with me). However, I don't know what will happen between now and this summer. I don't want to skip over the end of this school year, not really. I want to see my kids finish out their assignments, get their test scores back, and have a sense of accomplishment as they finish of their respective grades this year. I want to finish strong with my dance students as they prepare for recital. If I skipped over the happenings of this life to get to July I might miss out on the beauty of what God has planned for me.

So this day in February, I will sit in my recliner with my feet up by the fire and breathe, content, knowing that God has planned the seasons and they will pass. Each season in turn bringing with it the highs, the lows, the excitement and the hum drum.

No comments: