Wednesday, February 6, 2019

I'm Still Learning

Well, my last post to this blog was in 2013! Seeing as though it is now 2019 it's fair to say a lot has changed in five and a half years. I've changed, my kids have changed, and my house has changed but one thing has most certainly not changed. I'm still learning! I'm a homemaker in training and I still have a LOT of learning to do.
I put up a poll about what people would like to hear about. I thought this would be a good way for me to focus my time and energies. The problem was the answers were as varied as ever! Then a friend from my college posted this.
 "There are so many topics to write about probably hard to choose. I think being who you are and writing what you know - the people will come. When you put your art out there, the authenticity is attractive. Also who is your target audience? Are you wanting all women from all walks of life; or more specific people? I don't have children, so parenting or home school topics won't be applicable. I think the Christian walk and how you live it out-would be of deep interest. How you relate to God- and any lessons you have learned through the years..... but I think anything you write and share is going to resonate with many people... just keep writing and sharing your thoughts... Share your art, as it will bless many women. 

I was so grateful for her words. "Just keep writing and sharing your thoughts."  When I was sharing in this space before I was constantly watching for new subscribers, trying to see how many people were reading my posts, making more posts like the ones that got the most reads and then constantly wishing people would comment. I was blogging for me but I was also blogging in the hopes that people would follow and I could be popular or even make money at this. I'm sure that is why when we moved up to Siskiyou County and our lives took a change from our previous normal I simply stopped writing. I felt like my audience wouldn't be able to relate to my new life. I was certainly more busy than before since I was home schooling all three kids and they didn't take naps anymore, but really it boils down to confidence. I had lost the confidence and the desire to write.
Well, 2019 is the year I want to pick it back up. I want to write the book that has been on my heart for 16+ years and I want to blog again. We have so much to share with one another.
So, I'm not going to care about followers. I'm not going to care about reads, or popular posts. (I do still care about comments and will read them, respond to them and answer any questions you may ask!) I'm not going to hang my hat on the affirmation of my blogging, because I am writing for me. I'm writing because I want to. And if you choose to follow along as God shapes me I'm happy to have you here! ❤️

No comments: