Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Works for me Wednesday~Breakfast

Hello readers! (Click on the banner above for the original WFMW) I've decided to participate in these Works-for-me-Wednesday on the first Wednesday of the month. This month, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite breakfast ideas.


About once a week we eat rice with our dinner. (I've resolved to make Tuesday my dinner with rice night. Planning it makes it so much easier.) I always make more than we need because I like to re-purpose it the next morning as breakfast rice.


It's like making fried rice, only with "breakfast" ingredients. It's a wonderful way to use up leftover veggies and meats. (I also do this with potatoes from the night before)


For those interested in the step by step, I've included that below:


1. Start with COLD rice. This makes all the difference between breakfast rice and breakfast mush.


2. Prep all other ingredients: leftover veggies, meats, or fresh selections from the fridge. (Chopping or shredding as needed)


3. I like to start with about a Tablespoon of butter in the bottom of a large skillet. Once melted make sure its covered the entire pan.


4. If you are using onion or other not cooked veggie, add those now. Brown or "stir fry" until tender.


5. Add the rice, and stir constantly to coat the rice with butter.


6. Make a well in the center of the rice, and add another pat of butter to the skillet there.


7. Once melted pour well beaten eggs in the sizzling butter, stirring just that portion, thus "scrambling" the eggs in the center.


8. When most of the egg is cooked, stir it into the rest of the mixture adding last minute ingredients like cheese, cillantro, fresh parsley etc.


9. Season as needed with salt and pepper, or other favorite seasoning mixes. (On potatoes I use Mrs. Dash)


10. Serve to a hungry crowd.

No comments: