Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lent

Time. Sacrifice. Hunger. Longing. Devotion. Temptation. Repentance. Desires. Self-less.



During this season of lent I find myself reflective. I'm not Catholic. I would even venture to say that others from my faith tradition think me odd for using the word, the concept, the practice of lent. And yet, I feel drawn to it.




"As the the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul longs after you, O God." Psalm 42:1






I also love that I've seen so many people "tailor" lent to fit what sacrifice will help them focus on Him, and His sacrifice. But each day as I give up, go without, and I fail to do it well I'm reminded of why I am participating in lent. Because if it were up to me I would fall short, I can't do it on my own. I need Him. My failure draws me closer to Him. My lack of self-control makes me dependent upon His grace, His perfection, His sacrifice.
Thank God.


No comments: