Friday, December 31, 2010

...The New Year...


It's New Year's Eve and I've just celebrated the coming of the new year with my three young children, (We celebrate on East Coast time so they don't have to stay up so late!)
I've spent some time in the past few days just pondering.  The New Year always does this to me.  I remember one year sneaking off from a party to be by myself so I could have my first moments alone to journal, pray and consecrate myself to Him.  My dearest friends came to find me, and it was a joy to share in the fellowship of prayer that midnight.  I will not soon forget how special that beginning was.

What is it about the turning of a new leaf?
What makes us desire the fresh start each year?

Especially now, the solitude is sacred.  The silence almost overwhelms.

Goals, aspirations,desires, dreams...
these are the thoughts that swim around in our grey matter during this season.
And rightly so. 

Isn't it just like Him to provide an annual reminder?  The reminder that it's okay, even good to begin again, to start fresh and new. 

Sleepy eyes creep into view, and my muddled thoughts that seemed so worthy now seem to be a vapor of nonsense. So I usher in the New Year this year alone, in silence, in reflection.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."
Psalm 19:14

No comments: