Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sharing Secrets

I know, I know, secrets are no longer secrets if you've shared them!  However I just can't keep these kinds of "secrets" to myself! As a fellow wife, mother and homemaker I'm sure you agree that anything that can make our jobs easier is something worth sharing.

So today I want to share with you one of my favorite dessert recipes.  It originally came from a friend of mine named Sarah. (she blogs about her philosophy of schooling on her website here.)


I made it one summer day while my husband was taking a nap.  He came out of the room saying "What smells so good out here?"  When I responded with Key Lime Pie, he literally laughed out loud. (For some reason it amuses him when I get the whim to make something from scratch!)  I'd had a few limes that were not going to be used for their original intent, so I decided to try this recipe. He took one bite of the finished product and declared,
"This is it.  When you ask me what dessert I want for my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or anything else, I want this!"



Light Key Lime Pie
from Sarah Lightfoot (Amy's Adaptations in green!)
3 Limes
14 oz. can fat-free sweetened condensed milk (I use regular, not fat free)
3 egg whites
1 drop green food coloring (I omit the food coloring all together)
3 drops yellow food coloring
6 oz. prepared graham cracker crust (I make my own crust)
12 oz. reduced fat whipped topping (I use regular for this too!)

::In a bowl, grate 2 teaspoons of zest.  Squeeze 1/2 cup lime juice from the limes.
::Beat in condensed milk, egg whites and food coloring until fluffy, but not stiff.  Pour into crust.
::Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until filling is set.
::Cool completely, and then spread with topping to serve.




No comments: