Thursday, October 27, 2011

31 Days: Grandma's Wisdom~ Early Bird

"The early bird gets the worm."

"Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise."

Remember these sayings?  I've heard them all my life mostly because I really like my bed! My mother would always come in to wake me long before I was due to get up only because it took me so long to actually get out of bed. (My poor mother, I exasperated her!)
This was not the case with my Grandma.  Whenever we went to visit them in their little farm house, my sister and I usually slept on the hide-a-bed out in the living room. We knew not to stay up late at their house because come 4:00 AM the next morning both Grandma and Grandpa would be up.  Oh, they tried to be quiet but old habits die hard.  They would tip toe into the kitchen and flip on the lights streaming light across the foot of our bed.  And then I lay there, listening.  Grandma made coffee, Grandpa made toast, and they talked as Grandpa read stories from the daily news paper.  It was sweet.  And though I tried to pretend to be the ever tired teenager who didn't want to be disturbed in the morning, the truth was I enjoyed the routine.  
Sometimes when I have to get up early, I think of my Grandma and it makes it just a little bit easier to only hit the snooze button one time!

No comments: