Thursday, October 27, 2011

31 Days: Grandma's Wisdom~ Persimmons

My Mom made persimmon cookies.  I can almost smell them baking.  A hint of cinnamon, the hearty pulp of the persimmons being mashed in the food processor.  Whenever I think of persimmons I always thing of Grandma.  There was a great big persimmon tree in the front yard at Grandma's house, and whenever we were there and they were in season we were always given some.  I don't know how, but they seemed to be "in season" every time we were there!  And Grandma always had an abundance.  She gave them away like they were going out of style!  I have never really seen or heard of people using persimmons other than my Grandma.  I'm sure there are some really great uses for them.  But for me, seeing this fruit always takes me back to Grandma's house!

Here's a recipe for persimmon cookies.  It's not the exact recipe my Mamma uses, but it is very close.

  • Ingredients

  • 2 ripe persimmons, pureed
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup raisins (optional)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional, but not nearly as good if you leave them out!)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  2. Dissolve baking soda in persimmon pulp and set aside.
  3. Sift flour, spices and salt together, set aside.
  4. Cream together butter or margarine and sugar until fluffy, beat in egg and persimmon. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in nuts and raisins.
  5. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.

No comments: