Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pondering Coupons

Tuesday morning at our MOPS group, two women came to speak about couponing.  A mother/daughter team with a website and a plan... it sounds so good.  I listened attentively and tried to mentally follow their tips and suggestions.  But I gotta admit; I'm having a hard time picturing myself doing this.  I want to, I really want to.  I like saving money!  I guess what I have a hard time wrapping my brain around is the idea of buying things that are brand name.  I buy the "off brand" at discounted stores. I almost always have (and think that my malady may be part genetic!).  There are a few items that I have discovered will not work in generic form, but these are few and far between.  When I glance through the coupon ads I tend to do just that, glance.  You see after years of cutting and slicing and trimming the budget I've found that I don't use MOST of the items they offer coupons for. I like to use vinegar for most of my cleaning purposes... it's cheap and more effective. I use such a small amount of shampoo that one bottle can last me up to two years.  I make my own laundry soap that is inexpensive and I prefer over any store bought equal (plus it's better for my washing machine). I just like doing things the old fashioned way and these coupons are mostly offers on *new* products and ideas, they do me no good!
So when I mentioned to my husband that the speaker had been about couponing... he affirmed me and my wandering thoughts.  It feels good to know that I'm doing what I can to not only save our budget but also to cut down on waste in our home.  If that means that I never have to clip a coupon, well then, I guess I'm okay with that!

No comments: