Thursday, May 19, 2011

Playgroup Granola Bars

Facebook is my "test run".  When I put a picture of something that I've made on Facebook, if I get a lot of requests for the recipe I know that it's worthy to post on my blog!I'm sure that many of you already make your own granola bars and maybe you have a recipe to share with me, (if so please post a link in the comments section!) but today's post is the story of evolution!
Recipies are like anything else, they are made to be "tweaked" to fit the individual.  I have found this to be especially true of my granola bar recipie.  I first came across it just looking online for a healthier and less expensive alternative to buying granola bars as snacks for my kids. I found this recipe for Playgroup Granola Bars.  It has since become my "base" for the various granola bars that come out of my oven.




This picture is of the bars I made today.  They are by far the biggest hit.  I was hoping to make a bar that my daughter Noraa would eat.  She doesn't like nuts and loves oatmeal, but won't eat it in cookies or bars.  So here are the tweaks that I made today...

  • 2 cups rolled oats  (I put these in the food processor and made them much smaller)
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ (& 1/2 cup of ground flax seed)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour whole wheat
  • 3/4 cup raisins (optional) cran-strawberries
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (&1/2  cup apple butter)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  •  chocolate chips
  • chocolate drizzle (1/2 cup chips & a 1/2 t. of crisco)

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

(Nutritional Information for orginal recipe only)

Amount Per Serving Calories: 161 | Total Fat: 5.5g | Cholesterol: 9mgPowered by ESHA Nutrient Database

No comments: