Friday, October 14, 2011

31 Days: Grandma's Wisdom~ Tacos

Growing up in Oklahoma my Grandmother had never had a taco.  It wasn't until they lived on the border there in Calexico, California that she tasted her first taco.  When she shared this with me again the other day I caught a glimpse of myself in her statement.  As she took a bite she thought to herself, "I could make this!"  And thus began a life long enjoyment of tacos!

(On a side note, my husband's grandmother had a beautiful fascination with burritos.  Any leftovers could be made over into ingredients for a burrito!  What a sweet and wonderful woman she was... but that's for another 31 Days!)


My dad and I had a conversation about Grandma's tacos the other day and it was fun to hear him talk about how she made them.  As was the norm for back then everything was done full fat!  She would cook the shells in oil and then lay them to drain on newspaper.  My dad said you couldn't eat one of Grandma's tacos with out that orange grease running down your hands and dripping onto your plate...Mmmm.  Now that, my friends is how a taco is done!

No comments: